The Singapore Workforce Skills Qualifications (WSQ) is a national credential system that trains, develops, assesses and certifies skills and competencies for the workforce. As a continuing education and training (CET) system, WSQ supports the SkillsFuture movement to:
- Promote recognition of skills and competencies to facilitate progression, mastery and mobility;
- Promote holistic development of the workforce through technical and critical core skills and competencies;
- Support economic development by professionalising skills and competencies to drive industry transformation, productivity and innovation efforts; and
- Encourage lifelong learning.
WSQ-accredited courses aim to equip individual with skills demanded by the current and future economy. The courses take reference from the skills developed under the Skills Frameworks. The Skills Framework is an integral component of the Industry Transformation Maps and is co-created by employers, industry associations, education institutions, unions and Government for the Singapore workforce. It provides key information on the job roles and skills that an individual will need to perform various job tasks and to stay transferable. The Skills Framework helps every individual adapt to new job demands and bring relevant skills across different jobs.
Key features of WSQ
- Relevance: A competency-based system, designed to develop job role-specific skills and competencies, as well as critical core skills and competencies that are required across job roles.
- Open Access: No academic pre-requisites needed for entry and recognises prior learning, such as work experience and credentials. Offers bite-sized modules leading to the award of a Statement of Attainment, which an individual may acquire leading up to a full WSQ qualification.
- Progression: Makes available skills and qualification pathways which align to the Skills Framework for the respective sectors.
- Authority: Statements of Attainment and qualifications are quality assured and awarded by SkillsFuture Singapore and/or in partnership with established awarding bodies.
Plan career and acquire new skills to enter a new sector or job role
Upgrade skills and advance caree
Provide quality assured and industry-relevant training choices
Guide training and development planning
Articulate clear training outcomes
Develop and deliver training programmes that meet industry need
|Achieve qualifications and certifications that demonstrate skill sets to employers
||Guide performance management
||Obtain mark of recognition as an approved training provider of WSQ
|Obtain portable credentials to improve employability and mobility
|Strengthen in-house training capabilities
|Assess and certify skills and competencies against industry established work standards
||Facilitate recruitment of competent staff who are certified and equipped with the required skills and competencies
WSQ is underpinned by a strong quality assurance framework. From developing Technical Skills and Competencies and Critical Core Skills
, to approving training providers and awarding WSQ qualifications, stringent criteria are applied to ensure the necessary standards and delivery. A structured and efficient system has been established to help build a strong training infrastructure that supports Singapore's workforce development.