Official website links end with .gov.sg

Government agencies communicate via .gov.sg websites (e.g. go.gov.sg/open).Trusted websites

Secure websites use HTTPS

Look for a lock (Secure websites use HTTPS) or https:// as an added precaution. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Waste Management


Due to Singapore’s growing population, the amount of waste generated over the years has been increasing steadily. In 2013, a total of 7.8 million tonnes of refuse was generated, of which 4.8 million tonnes were recycled. The remaining 3 million tonnes was disposed off at our incineration plants and landfills.

About 61% of Singapore’s waste is recycled while the remaining 39% are incinerated and sent directly to landfills. The resultant ash from incineration is subsequently disposed at Singapore’s only landfill, Semakau Landfill. As both incineration plants and landfill are capital-intensive infrastructures and require large tracts of land, land-scarce Singapore cannot continue to build incineration plants and landfills to cope with the growing demand for waste disposal. Hence, the government has set a target of 70% by 2030 in the Sustainable Singapore Blueprint.

To date, there are approximately 500 Waste Management companies, employing about 12,000 workers who provide services from waste collection, sorting, recycling, waste-to-energy solutions, to project consultancy, and R&D. There are also a total of about 320 licensed General Waste Collectors (GWCs).

Please click here to see the competency map of the framework.

Qualifications and courses in the Waste management and Recycling Industry Framework

WSQ Certified Waste Management Crew

WSQ Certified Waste Management Supervisor

WSQ Certified Waste Management Manager